Thames Tideway Tunnel East
Images of the project
The Tideway Scheme consists of designing and building a system for wastewater and stormwater transfer and storage in central London. The project comprises the construction of 32 kilometres of tunnels to increase the capacity of the existing network.
This ambitious project aims to intercept wastewater and stormwater and divert these into treatment plants to prevent effluents into the River Thames.
A Joint venture between VINCI Construction Grands Projets, Costain Limited and Bachy Soletanche Ltd are constructing the eastern section of the project. This package connects Chambers Wharf and the Abbey Mills Pumping Station where the Lee Tunnel starts in East London. It consists of the design and construction of two tunnel sections: a main 5.5-km tunnel and a connecting 4.6-km tunnel.
You can find out more about the Thames Tideway project here.
Construction Risk Management
Constructing one of the worlds largest tunnels, and some of the deepest shafts in the UK, requires a significant monitoring scheme to be installed on adjacent buildings and infrastructure to protect them during the construction phase.
The scope we have been appointed to deliver includes:-
- Provision of our Geoscope monitoring software as a solution to disseminate monitoring data project wide.
- Settlement and deformation monitoring of the Diaphragm Walls at 5 Nos. shaft sites.
- Monitoring of the DLR flyover and adjacent river wall at Greenwich Pumping Station.
- Monitoring of the Rotherhithe Road Tunnel, Brunel Tunnel, Crossrail Running Tunnels west of Canary Wharf Station, District Line and Network Rail lines west of West Ham Station and the Jubilee Line at Bermondsey Station using Tiltmeters and Tiltbeams.
- Noise, vibration, and air quality monitoring across the five worksites including comprehensive environmental consultancy services.
- Atlas InSAR Ground Settlement Satellite monitoring including a retrospective baseline completed for the TBM route in advance of main works contract.
- Concrete Pathology Testing on Diaphragm wall panels (in partnership with Sixense In-Situ)